Friday, September 14, 2007

Week 1 -- Internet Safety

Six months ago, my car was hit by a stolen car chased by the police on my way home. I was very upset. I moved to Houston not long ago and was trying my best not to be sentimental about the place where I have called home for the past 17 years.
"Why did you drive there? It is not safe to go there. Didn't you know there are quite some police reports recently?"
Am I taking another route? Absolutely not. I am still taking this shortcut that is less congested and plus I don't have to crawl on the toll road. More importantly, I do not want to be victimized twice by taken away my right of driving on that road. Most but not the least, I do want to lose my sense of security in general that I believe is very important to me. I am more alert and driving more carefully.
SO, what analogy am I making? Internet is not safe. You have heard enough bad things reported in the media. You probably have been in the discuss of whether library should block MySpace website because of the bad incidents happened to children who used that site. Guess what, who would know that musicians, politicians, and even libraries are making their present on My Space. The rule of thumb is using the same judgment as if you are in the real world.

No comments: